It’s not people who hack your site. Your site will be attacked by automated scripts that scan the Internet for all available information about you and then take educated guesses about what your password would be. These scripts are very smart. Whether these attacks are successful depends on the strength of your passwords. (SPOILER ALERT: Be sure to read the part at the end about www.lastpass.com. It’s a free service that manages all your passwords. I’m hooked on it.)
Once hacked, your website server will be used to launch millions of spam. Your server will get blacklisted and your email will stop working. Worse yet, everyone sharing your server will be blacklisted.
- Don’t use pet names
- Don’t use birth dates
- Don’t use children’s names
- Do use upper and lower case characters, and
- Do use numbers, and
- Do use punctuation.
- Don’t create any password list on your computer, viruses seek these out
- Don’t email passwords (Use www.LastPass.com)
- If you write down passwords, keep them out of view
- Don’t use the same password for everything
- Have a master password that you vary slightly for different sites
- Do change your passwords from time to time. (www.LastPass.com will keep track of this for you.)
Another solution is to use a password service such as www.lastpass.com. I’ve been using this, and I must admit I’m hooked. And it’s free.
Another Password Joke
WINDOWS: Please enter your new password.
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.
USER: boiled cabbage
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.
USER: 1 boiled cabbage
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character.
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.
USER: 50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssIfYouDon’tGiv eMeAccessNow!
WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.
USER: ReallyPissedOff50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourA ssIfYouDontGiveMeAccessNow
WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.